Sunday, March 4, 2012

Appreciation (43) …Lost: a Michael


Appreciation (43) …Lost: a Michael
Torrey Orton
March 4, 2012


My barber of 35 years acquaintance departed from down the street to the outer suburb of Vermont South… a place I labelled West Sydney when he told me he was going two months ago. Though only a ½ hour drive from Richmond at a good time of day, it's not a 10 minute walk. So, I'll miss him. ½ hour drives may be possible occasionally, but not with the freedom which has characterised our relationship all these years…dropping in when fate found me in the neighbourhood during cutting hours.


It's what I'll miss beyond his quality cutting that I want to celebrate: M's special capacity for engagement with the world, well exceeding many people of greater education and more public achievement. Never did he fail to have something lively and clear to observe or wonder about our world, which he presented and pursued with energy and insight and openness to learning….or occasional stubborn resistance which we could thrash each other about with energy and no recriminations.


I always got a haircut and a brain brush for his standard rates. More important, I got unalloyed humanity for free. Thank you, Michael. I'm sure those others who shared a beer with you a week ago got the same service and honour you for that. That's the meaning of community.


Til we meet again.





No comments:

Post a Comment